Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Championship v Warks 19-22 September 2023

MTWD member
    Quote Originally Posted by John (Fingers) Fingleton View Post

Looking at the weather forecast. selected or not, Murts will probably never get on the field for the first three days - but Friday is looking a whole lot better, so that may enable a fitting farewell.

It will forever remain an immutable stain on the England selectors that his only entry on the Honours Boards was in the Visitors' Dressing Room.
    The weather forecast I'm looking at suggests dry for tomorrow- although grey cloud might mean bad light becomes a factor-

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2023-09-19

Contrasting forecasts from two of our foremost contributors and predictors. I'll stay on the fence for this one but wait with bated breath to find out which of our weathermen knows which way the wind blows.

I was so anxious about how my previous post would be received, that I couldn’t face reading this messageboard until tonight!

As can be seen in the highlights of the England v New Zealand ODI at Lord’s on Friday, there are a couple of pitches on the Tavern side which appear in contention to be used for this match, so as I expected, this match will surely take place on one of those pitches (probably the one about a quarter way up the square) rather than on the same one as the ODI, which means that it would be a fresh pitch (or at least a pitch not used in the last few weeks if it was used earlier in the season). The official website says that the stands open will be those on the Tavern side, so that seems to confirm which pitch will be used.

Weather and light permitting, I might catch a little bit of play tomorrow afternoon before attending the meeting in the Middlesex Room about the sanctions imposed by ECB. With the forecast worse for Wednesday, perhaps it is just as well that football means that I will not be attending that evening’s life members event and therefore did not set my heart on seeing play that day (although the weather could still inconvenience me when I am at the football as well as while travelling there and back).

Warwickshire have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Ed Barnard, Chris Benjamin, Kraigg Brathwaite, Danny Briggs, Michael Burgess, Alex Davies, Henry Brookes, Olly Hannon-Dalby, Craig Miles, Dan Mousley, Will Rhodes (C), Chris Rushworth and Rob Yates.

MTWD member
    Warwickshire won the toss, and unsurprisingly will bowl first.

Holden left out!

Murtagh and Bamber both play.

Robson, Stoneman, Davies, Cracknell, Higgins, Simpson (wk), De Caires, Yadav, Helm, Bamber, Murtagh.

Full covers on at Taunton, overcast skies but no rain at present.Outfield very wet.
    Last edited by MIDDLE EXILE; 19-09-2023 at 11:36 AM.

MTWD member
    Wonder if Rojo is done. He might have auto extend offer on his deal.

I was close with my team but shocked they picked two spinners and left Eski out

Rojo's fine, just been rested according to Andy, and will likely return next week. Josh was never likely to be omitted and understandable to go with the extra bowler.

MTWD member
    Not understandable to me. Extra bowler not needed when you've got a great all rounder like Higgins who bats five. They should've kept Eski in. As I type Davies no footwork.... Doink

MTWD member
    Jinxed Higgins. What a total mess. I don't think the pitch has played badly. It's the ODI one right? 55/5 as no footwork or commitment.

Gonna need that extra spinner

MTWD member
    Already praying for rain, so we get 3 bowling points and 5 for the draw.

Live stream commentary too quiet to be of any use- so listening to BBC.

Hopefully enough rain at Taunton to prevent Kent getting anything other than a draw.

MTWD member
    In the other game, Kent have won the toss and will bowl first.

Could be significant, as there is so much rain forecast there may not be time for 2 x 110 overs. Kent will get bowling points quicker than they would have got batting points.

1,45 start at Taunton, Kent bowling,63 overs left in the day Pitch and outfield 40 shades of green.
    Last edited by MIDDLE EXILE; 19-09-2023 at 01:51 PM.

MTWD member
    Good to see the team getting a ton..... Coleman on comms is the biggest excuse machine ever!

Lovely touch with the guard for Murts

Member with ARAOTOHH! John (Fingers) Fingleton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    Already praying for rain, so we get 3 bowling points and 5 for the draw.

Live stream commentary too quiet to be of any use- so listening to BBC.

Hopefully enough rain at Taunton to prevent Kent getting anything other than a draw.

It would be encouraging to think that any success we - or any county - might have would be based on skills, rather than the elements.

I trust we will retain Murt's playing registration for next season, just in case he is required at any time.